Thank you for your interest in the USTL United States Timor-Leste Scholarship Program. The 2018 application for the USTL United States Timor-Leste Scholarship Program will be available until 11:59 PM (EST) on December 29, 2017. Your application must be submitted by that date in order to be considered in this year's selection process.
Candidates will be considered without respect to race, color, religion, national origin, or gender. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Competition for the USTL is merit-based and open to anyone who:
- Is a citizen, national, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by the government of Timor-Leste;
- Has completed or is in the process of completing his/her final year of secondary school;
- Submits a complete application with all required documents by the application deadline;
- Is able to begin the academic exchange program in the United States in August 2018;
- Will be at least 18 years old when the program starts;
- Is eligible for admission to a U.S. undergraduate degree program or will become eligible upon completion of an ESL program;
- Is able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa;
- Is committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program;
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application; and
- Meets any additional requirements of the college or university where placement is being sought.
Individuals in the following circumstances are NOT eligible for the USTL Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Employees of the U.S. Embassy, and their immediate families, for a period ending one year following termination of such employment.
- Persons arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a crime (excluding minor traffic violations).
If you are unable to complete an application online, click here to download a paper version of the participant application and submit it to the U.S. Embassy in Dili.