Candidates will be considered without respect to race, color, religion, national origin, or gender. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Competition for the USTL is merit-based and open to anyone who:
- Is a citizen, national, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by the government of Timor-Leste;
- Has completed or is in the process of completing his/her final year of secondary school;
- Submits a complete application with all required documents by the application deadline;
- Is able to begin the academic exchange program in the United States in August 2019;
- Will be at least 18 years old when the program starts;
- Is eligible for admission to a U.S. undergraduate degree program or will become eligible upon completion of an ESL program;
- Is able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa;
- Is committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program;
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application; and
- Meets any additional requirements of the college or university where placement is being sought.
Individuals in the following circumstances are NOT eligible for the USTL Program:
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States;
- Employees of the U.S. Embassy, and their immediate families, for a period ending one year following termination of such employment.
- Persons arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a crime (excluding minor traffic violations).
If you are unable to complete an application online, click here for a PDF or click here for a MS Word version of the participant application and submit it to the U.S. Embassy in Dili. Click here for instructions for the paper version.