Thank you for your interest in the USTL Program. The 2021 application for the USTL Program was available until 11:59 PM (EST) on November 30, 2020. The application will be made available in the coming Spring.
An eligible candidate for the USTL Program:
- Is a citizen, national, or permanent resident qualified to hold a valid passport issued by the government of Timor-Leste;
- Has completed or is in the process of completing his/her final year of secondary school;
- Agrees to submit a complete application with all required documents by the application deadline;
- Is able to begin the USTL Program in the United States in August 2021;
- Will be at least 18 years old when the program starts;
- Is eligible for admission to a U.S. undergraduate degree program or will become eligible upon completion of an ESL program;
- Is able to receive and maintain a J-1 visa;
- Is committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program;
- Is proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application; and
- Meets any additional requirements of the college or university where placement is being sought.
Individuals in the following circumstances are NOT eligible for the USTL Program:
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Employees of the U.S. Embassy and their immediate family members, for a period of one year following termination of such employment;
- Persons arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a crime (excluding minor traffic violations);
- Candidates with bachelor’s degrees, obtained either in Timor-Leste or abroad.